Monday 16 August 2010

Instructions for t-shirt transfer

Following the comment she left on the t-shirt transfers, this is just for smilernbp - hope it's useful!

It's actually surprisingly easy to make these.

You get the transfer paper (I got it from Staples - it was £10 for 5 sheets, so fairly expensive. That was buy one get one free though, so was actually for 2 packs and 10 sheets. I'm sure you could find it cheaper online, but I was too impatient!)

Once you've got your paper, find your image. I then copied and pasted the images into Word and played around with the placement of them to get the most I could on the paper. You can use the tools in Word to flip the image - this is only important if you've got writing on your image, to ensure it comes out the right way on the t-shirt.

You then print onto the paper (instructions included in the paper, but you print on the white side). I've just got a normal printer and normal ink - nothing special. Just printed it as normal.

Cut out the image. Any white you leave will come out, so it's okay if it's going on a white t-shirt, but more important to be careful if going on to a coloured t-shirt.

Next, iron your t-shirt so it is flat and put the image on face down. Make sure the steam is turned off on your iron and it is set to its hottest temperature. Iron the transfer on. Keep ironing until the iron logo on the back of the paper is 80% brown (again, instructions in the paper). Peel the backing off. I then put a plain sheet of paper on the transfer and iron it for 5 seconds before peeling it off.

The instructions then say to leave for 24 hours and wash inside out before wearing. Cara is like me though and is too impatient for that!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, yay! Thank you so much!

    And I'll ignore the fact you got my name wrong!! lol

    It's SMILER (cos my maiden name was Riley, hubby before he was my hubby called me Smiley Riley - which he then changed to Smiler) N (me - Nicola) P (hubby) B (son)!

    Hugs to you, and thanks again. That will keep me busy...if I ever get around to doing it! lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, I got the initials in the wrong order...I'm so sorry. I just wanted to post the instructions as I knew I wouldn't get round to it otherwise...and it was early! Sorry again. x

    ReplyDelete